Healthy City Guide: San Francisco
Healthy city guide: San Francisco
San Francisco is an amazing place.
I can say this with absolute certainty, because I live in the damn city. Visiting soon? Thinking of making the move here? Well buckle up kweens, because I'm about to share my favorite healthy spots in SF:
Healthy cafes in sf
Blue Barn is the holy grail. Sure, you may spend $25 on a salad (oops), but the portions are HUGE - you will not leave disappointed. And they serve wine. *mic drop*
- What to order: I live for their arugula salad - with tons of parm and lots of crunch from roasted chickpeas & slivered almonds, it's super satisfying without putting you to sleep.
- Locations: Marina, Nob Hill
They're 100% plant-based, but you wouldn't know it (swear). Bowls, smoothies, sandwiches and of course, toast. The vibe is casual, but not pretentious (like you seem to find at many plant-based cafes).
- What to order: The toast sampler. It's perfect if you have food ADD like I do and/or get anxiety from having to choose only one thing on the menu.
- Locations: Inner Richmond, Nob Hill
Living in the city can be exhausting. At the end of a long day, the last thing I want to do is trek all over the damn place for some healthy eats. Enter: UR. There's basically one around every corner, and I love their grab n' go layout.
- What to order: I've tried all of their salads, but the umeboshi is a consistent favorite of mine (it's like sushi in a bowl). And you MUST try their homemade protein bars - I have a soft spot for the matcha flav!
- Locations: Marina, Embarcadero, Hayes Valley
Sometimes I force myself to walk a different route to work, just to avoid Native Juice Co. Why? Because I have zero self-control and will inevitably pay them a visit (which I'm fine with.. but my bank account ain't).
- What to order: the house special - it's a fruit-free green juice that'll put a pep in yo' step. Their quinoa sushi is pretty out of control, too.
- Locations: FiDi, SoMa
I LOVE SOUVLA. It's one of those places that no matter if I've had it 8 times in the last 3 days, I'll still be craving it #foreverhungry. If you leave sf without eating at souvla, I'm sorry but I'm really not sure we can be friends.
- What to order: Ugh, everything?! Okay, if I must choose two, I'd say the chicken salad and the greek yogurt froyo with baklava crumbles. Insanity.
- Locations: Mission, Hayes Valley, NoPa
Jane is the quintessential millennial cafe. Instagram-worthy salads and acai bowls, served on tables with B&W chevron print. It takes every ounce of strength for me to keep my phone in my pocket while I'm here.
- What to order: Their baked goods are craaack. Literally anything, you can't go wrong. They also make a mean matcha latte.
- Locations: Lower Pac Heights, Tenderloin
This is hands-down the most aesthetically pleasing cafe I've ever stepped foot in. In fact, I wasn't sure they were gonna let me in the door. It's more beautiful than me with a pound of makeup on.
- What to order: Turmeric latte, beet latte (!)
- Location: Presidio Heights